If you want an easy breakfast that can be made in advance; you must try this French Toast Bake. Prepare the French toast the night before you want to eat it, store it in the fridge, and bake the next morning. This is an easy recipe to put together; there are only a few ingredients. My dad found this recipe; he said this recipe is a keeper.
You can top with maple syrup, but we only topped with powdered sugar, the French toast was sweet enough without syrup. It is best to eat when it is hot out of the oven. We tried the French toast for breakfast the next day and found it is even better!
Here is a tip for melting butter, cut the butter into smaller pieces and microwave on low power for 20 seconds. Stir the butter and microwave on low for a few more seconds. Also, if you do not have Texas toast, use white bread, it will work just fine. We had to use white bread because the store was out of Texas toast.
French Toast Bake
1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
1 cup brown sugar
1 loaf Texas toast
1 and 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Powdered sugar for sprinkling
1. Melt butter in microwave safe bowl. Add brown sugar. Stir till mixed.
2. Pour butter/sugar mix into bottom of 9 x 13 pan. Spread around.
3. Beat eggs, milk, & vanilla
4. Lay single layer of Texas Toast in pan
5. Spoon 1/2 of egg mixture on bread layer
6. Add 2nd layer of Texas Toast
7. Spoon on remaining egg mixture
8. Cover & chill in fridge overnight
9. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes (covered for the first 30 minutes)
10. Sprinkle with powdered sugar
11. Serve with warm maple syrup