Hi Everyone!This month’s recipe is a delicious Lemon quick bread. This recipe comes from one of my mom’s ward cookbook; I wrote it down a few years ago and recently ran across it. I decided the bread had to be this month’s recipe, because I love lemon in the summer time and my parents said it sounded amazing when I told them about it. The bread is almost like a pound cake, very lemony and delicious!
To make this bread gluten free I used gluten free flour. I also used regular milk, rather than almond milk; because I thought the almond milk would taste weird with the lemon. The recipe says the bread should sit 24 hours before eating, so the glaze can soak in. But my parents and I were not about to let this quick bread sit for 24 hours. Ha-ha The glaze is very delicious if you let it sit for the allotted time.
Regarding the glaze… Be careful with how much lemon juice you use, I went a little overboard with the lemon juice and it was overpowering. When you squeeze the lemons watch out for seeds. And the glaze will soak all the way through the cake so it may not come out of the pan very well, even if you have greased it. I ran a knife around the edge of the bread and shook the pan as it sat up-side down on a plate. After several minutes of shaking the pan, the bread fell out.
I hope you give this easy delicious bread a try. It is fantastic when it is eaten warm and even better the next day.
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
½ tsp almond extract
1 and 1/2 cups sifted flour (gluten free)
1 Tbsp grated lemon peel (one large lemon)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
½ cup milk
3 Tbsps fresh lemon juice, a little more than one half slice of a large lemon
¼ cup powdered sugar
1. Blend butter and sugar well, beat in eggs one at a time. Add almond extract.
2. Sift or mix dry ingredients together. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture alternately with the milk. Blend just until mixed.
3. Fold in lemon peel. Turn the batter into a greased loaf pan.
4. Bake at 325 degrees for 70 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Mix fresh lemon juice and powdered sugar together; immediately spoon over baked hot loaf. (The glaze will soak all the way through the bread).
6. Cool for 10 minutes and remove from pan. Do not eat for 24 hours. (The bread is still wonderful if you eat it once it has slightly cooled)!