The last month has been crazy! I finished my novel and signed with a publisher; the blog has taken a back seat.
My dad is the hero for this month; he saw this recipe on social media and made it for us today. We adapted the recipe, by using Gluten Free Penne, not using mushrooms, using onion flakes and changing the herb to oregano. This recipe is easy to throw together because the slow cooker does all the work!
We served the penne with cooked vegetables. Use a 5 quart or larger slow cooker.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. It’s delicious!
Easy Cheesy Chicken Penne
1 and ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 (10 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
½ cup chicken broth
¼ tsp pepper
½ tsp dried tarragon (time and oregano are good too)
1 and ½ cups sliced mushrooms, optional
1 small yellow onion, diced, (onion flakes are good too)
1 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 lb penne pasta (gluten free), cooked
1. Add the cream of chicken soup and chicken broth to the slow cooker. Stir until smooth.
2. Add the tarragon (or other herbs), pepper, mushrooms and onion; stir.
3. Add the chicken breasts.
4. Cook on low for 6 hours.
5. Once the 6 hours are done, cook the pasta according to the package directions, do not overcook.
6. Shred the chicken and return to slow cooker. Add the sour cream and half of the cheese; stir.
7. Add drained, cooked pasta and stir.
8. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top of the mixture. Cover the slow cooker; cook on low for 20 minutes. Serve!